28. Instant Legendary Thief

The Quest for the Dodo continues to consume most of my creative energy, but I've been drafting a few blog posts in my spare moments... Going to start trying to get them polished and published!

A few days ago, Rare announced that Season 11 Community Weekend is just around the corner. It sounds like there will be an excellent update and a lot of new rewards coming, too. I can't wait!

Community Weekend is always an excited time to play the Sea of Thieves. The Seas always feel active and exciting during these profitable weekends. Some of my greatest adventures have taken place during Community Weekends.

The Sea of Thieves community really comes together on Community Weekends. The Seas always feel more active than usual, and there are many exciting adventures to be had!

In fact, Season 10 Community Weekend was one of the best for me, full of great memories and excitement. The following story was perhaps the best and most exciting of those memories. 

After about eight hours (!!!) playing with friends, I took a break and then started a solo sloop on a new server. A Rank 5 Reaper galleon was doing the Fort of the Damned, so I sailed in to take a look around.

Before I knew it, a band of intimidating Dark Warsmith skeletons had boarded my ship and surrounded me with blunderbusses...

But they didn't kill me! Instead, they forced me to join their alliance. I was not allowed to leave my ship or even raise my anchor. I had to stay in the crow's nest and be a lookout for other ships coming. I was a prisoner on my own ship!

The other crew kept me as a prisoner in my own crow's nest!

For a while, they kept a close eye on me, but once they were convinced I would behave they lowered their guard. 

Of course, being a pirate, I waited for the opportune moment. 

After a while, another sloop that had allied with the galleon arrived, so I thought I might blend in somewhat with the other purple names.

When Graymarrow went down and the Dark Warsmith crew started carrying loot back to their ship, I lunged over to the galleon and nabbed their Chest of Fortune, fresh off the harpoon, right under their noses!

I managed to swim it back to my ship and then row it away to my guild's hideout on K-11.

I managed to escape from my imprisonment with the Chest of Fortune on a rowboat... 

I stored it safely away at my guild's hideout at K-11 and returned to the action!

After the Chest of Fortune was safely stashed, I talked to the mermaid and returned to my ship... I was not surprised to find that my ship was under attack. I assumed my "allies" had figured out they were betrayed. But I was flabbergasted when I realized two hostile sloops had arrived on the scene. Suddenly, I had found myself in the middle of a chaotic five-ship battle over a FOTD! 😬 

At that moment, an old friend joined me: Jack the legendary Fisherman Negotiator who once negotiated a trade of a single barnacled marauder's chest for a supply crate full of Blackcloud Wreckers. A fellow Sea Dog, he had just returned to the game after a long absence and was itching for some swashbuckling and plunder.

Everyone in the fight seemed to have the new Siren Skull quest active, though none of us were actually doing it. Thanks to this quest being activated, when a ship sank, it would respawn just a square or two away. Five ships battling it out in a small area... It was just like Arena of old!

One of my favorite scenes in the endless battle was when both of the sloops in our alliance sank, and all three crews gathered on the galleon, which had parked in front of the Fort in an attempt to load some of their hard-earned treasure (minus a Chest of Fortune) onto the ship while the rest of us were fighting.  

We fought hard and sank the enemy sloops... But the galleon was taking on a lot of water. "BAIL! BAIL! BAIL!" shouted the Dark Warsmith Captain who had press-ganged me into his alliance. But there was no one left to bail. Even as he shouted orders, his entire crew was gunned down by a single survivor from an enemy sloop crew who had boarded the galleon after his own ship had sunk.

Seeing the writing on the wall, I jumped ship and hid in the water. Jack had been killed by a cannonball during the fight and went back to retrieve our ship.

Once the coast was clear, I peeked inside the fort's vault, and there were FIVE Chests of Legends and lots of other treasure too! The Warsmith crew had stacked the fort five times (we later found another Chest of Legends and learned it was stacked six times!) 😮

All of the other ships were already fighting elsewhere, so we decided to make our move and grab all the loot in the water and the five Chests of Legends.

Jimi and Jack managed to claim the lion's share of the treasure during an Arena-style five-ship battle on Season 10 Community Day!

We didn't see any Chests of Fortune, besides for the one I had hidden earlier at K-11. I hadn't noticed any on the galleon earlier either, and the treasure buried on the island was all Reaper Chests and Bounties. Our guess is that the galleon and their sloop ally had been selling those as they found them and stacked the rest of the loot.

After selling our treasure (instantly making Jack a Legendary Thief!) we returned to the fray. One rival sloop had managed to get the remaining booty on their boat and were fighting the galleon. We managed to sink them and get away with the treasure... which included a SIXTH Chest of Legends that we must have missed!

Despite his many years on the Seas, Jack had never sold a stolen a Chest of Legends before! This one little escapade immediately earned him the coveted "Legendary Thief" title!


After selling the rest of the loot, Jack had to run, but I decided to have a little fun and brought a Reaper Bounty to the top of our guild's hideout on K-11. I hid it in a secret place and waited in my office.

Sure enough, one of those rival sloop crews from the FOTD came to check it out, and I had a good laugh watching them spend twenty minutes searching for it after calling me a "noob." (rolls on deck laughing)

I can hardly wait for the next Community Weekend!

Jimi relaxes in his room at Ye Olde Sea Dogs' Guild Hideout at K-11. In the background, the other crew has found the treasure Jimi had hidden for them!


Comments